ALL travellers to Spain MUST complete an on-line form before they travel. You will be issued with a QR code which you will need to show at your arrival port or airport.

You must complete this form before you intend to travel.

You can complete the on-line form by clicking here.

UPDATE June 28 2021 - All travellers must now show either proof of two vaccinations or a negative PCR test to enter Spain


If you are returning to the UK and your pre-departure test is positive

UPDATE July 16 2021 - UK nationals planning to return to the UK who test positive 72hrs before return.

Click here for information if you test positive


Important immigration information for British nationals

Now that the UK has left the EU the arrangements for entering Spain have changed. This is a summary of the law - at the moment this is not necessarily being enforced rigorously, but it can be at any time and so you should ensure you meet the requirements at all times to avoid the possibility of being refused entry.


Entry visa

At the moment an entry visa is not required, however a new on-line system similar to the US entry visa system will be in operation across the EU within the next 18 months. However you must ensure that your passport has at least six months validity, and you might be asked to prove that you satisfy the entry requirements detailed below which support the current visa waiver scheme.

For the latest information you should consult the UK Government website. Click here to be taken to the Spain section.

Immigration channels

When you arrive at the Spanish border, you may no longer use the EU channel. Your passport may be inspected, and is likely to be scanned. This records the date of entry. Remember that you may only stay in Spain (or any EU state) for a maximum of 90 days in any 180 day period. Your passport will also be scanned on exit and any discrepancy will show up.

Other requirements

You may be asked to show all or some of the following:

  • Your return ticket to your place of origin, OR an onward ticket to another country.
  • Your accommodation details - such as your holiday rental contract, a hotel confirmation, or if you are visiting your own property some proof of ownership.
  • You may be asked to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover the duration of your stay.
  • You may be asked to show that you have the minimum health insurance valid for your stay.

If you are a group of individuals who have booked to stay in a property and you are not travelling together, then each person should carry a copy of the accommodation/holiday confirmation document.

Important note regarding family members or friends who may be travelling to stay in your property.

If you allow friends or family members (non-EU nationals) to stay in your property then the following must apply.

  • If you are resident in Spain, and therefor living in the property you must apply for and issue a formal invitation, carta de invitación, this takes the place of the hotel or holiday confirmation document. Without it your guests may be refused entry.
  • If friends or family are travelling independently of you and are going to stay in your property then the law says that they must have a valid holiday contract. This of course then means that the property must hold a valid tourism license, and your guests will have to complete the police registration formalities. The law here is very clear that a rent must be charged. Of course you can decide to offer a considerable discount and charge a nominal amount, but the important thing is that guests have a valid holiday contract which will grant them entry into Spain. Get in touch with us as we can offer you a 'friends package' where we can arrange police registration and also issue a formal holiday contract.
  • The carta de invitación is an official document. A handwritten or unofficial note will not be accepted. The official document is available on request at your local police station.

This may all sound a bit draconian at first read, but this law applies to all non-EU nationals.

Note these are general entry requirements and these may vary depending on how you enter Spain.

If you enter Spain overland then the requirements may differ, for example a requirement to show a return ticket may not apply, but you might have to show how you intend to leave Spain at the end of your stay. In the same way if you are planning a multi-centre visit you will only normally be required to show the address of the first place you intend to stay. More detailed advice on these types of trips can be found on the UK government website.

And finally...

Don't forget that when you return to the UK customs and duty free allowances have also changed. You will see up to date information about what you may take back into the UK at departure airports.