Medical emergencies

If you need an ambulance in an emergency call  061 - operators speak several languages.

For other emergency services click here

Fire, Police, Civil Protection

From our medical advisor...

For most minor ailments you should seek advice from a pharmacist. Pharmacists in Spain are highly qualified and are able to help with many minor situations.

BonaSOL guests should go to the Riviera Pharmacy situated on Av. Del Golf in Riviera. The staff speak English, as well as other languages. The pharmacy is open 9am to 10pm Monday - Saturday. Telephone:  951 27 26 18

Missing prescription drugs?

If you have left your prescription medicines at home, or you run out unexpectedly, take the empty container (if you have it) to your local pharmacy and explain the situation. In most cases they will be able to provide you with enough medication for the remainder of your stay. In the event that you run into any difficulty please don't hesitate to contact us we can usually arrange for an emergency prescription*.

BREXIT - travelling with medication

If you are travelling from the UK and bringing prescription medication with you, we strongly advise you to either obtain a duplicate prescription from your GP, or ask your pharmacy for a certificate showing that you are legally entitled to carry the medication. This is partly due to the fact that prescription mediations offered in the UK will not necessarily now be recognised by the EU medicines regulator. We know this all sounds a bit silly, but the UK is not part of the EU and sadly many things you may not have thought about can now present a problem.

Missing HIV medication.

If you have run out of, or lost, your HIV medication contact us in complete confidence and we will be able to arrange an emergency supply*.

*BonaSOL will not charge you for arranging an emergency prescription, however you may have to pay the cost price of any drugs supplied. In most cases you can get these costs re-imbursed either by your health insurer or your national health service.

Our tips for dealing with common holiday upsets.

Upset stomach.

Best advice is to drink plenty of clean water and rest, usually these upsets clear by themselves within 24 hours. If symptoms persist then ask the pharmacist for Loperamida.

Normal dose for adults is 4mg initially, followed by 2mg. Maximum of 16mg/day. (Children up to 5yrs 1mg, maximum of 3mg/day, 6-8yrs 2mg up to 4mg/day, 9-12yrs  2mg up to 6mg/day.)

Too much sun.

BonaSOL is supporting Mijas Ayuntamiento this year in their skin cancer prevention campaign. Click here to find out more.

Its important to determine if you are dealing with sunburn or more seriously heat stroke.

Sunburn - you know when you have had too much, its very uncomfortable. Over the counter after sun products will help, Aloe Vera is also useful. There is no quick fix, stay out of the sun until your skin settles down. In very serious cases some pain relief might be helpful, we suggest paracetamol in this case.

Heat stroke - its a technical term but applies when you have really been in the sun for too long. Perhaps you fell asleep in the sun (maybe as a result of one too many cocktails!)  It is a potentially serious condition. People will often appear disorientated, possibly feel sick, and generally appear unwell.  Arrange for the person to lie down in a cool shady room, give them plenty to drink (water or juice is good - nothing fizzy!) Get some flannels or small towels and soak then in cold water, apply to the face, neck and shoulders, also the groin. These will take the heat out of the body. Don’t worry about food, fluid replacement is more important. If things don’t improve, or your patient seems to get worse call 061 for professional help.

Heat exhaustion - this is serious. Usually it happens as a result of overdoing something in the sun, such as going for a run or some other strenuous activity. Put simply, the body can’t regulate temperature properly, people often appear very confused, their skin might look dry and feel cool. If you suspect heat exhaustion based on what the person had been doing prior to this event, try and get them to start drinking water as soon as possible, ideally you need an oral rehydration solution. In am emergency grab a can of cola pour it out and let it go flat, use that as this will replace some essential sugar into the bloodstream. If you do suspect heat exhaustion call for professional help using the 061 number as intravenous fluid replacement might be necessary.

Bit too much to drink…

We have all over done it from time to time. Best advice is to rehyrdate slowly using clean water. After an hour or so, if you can tolerate it, a dilute solution of juice and water will start to help. If you have a very bad head, then 500mg of paracetamol, but don’t take this until you have had a least 500ml of water. If you feel sick - let it out, then make sure you drink water after. Nothing fizzy, and certainly no alcohol for at least 48hours.

Insect bites.

The Costa del Sol is a sub tropical part of Spain and so insect bites are common. If you are prone to reacting to bites then an over the counter anti-histamine will help you. Ask the pharmacist for antihistamínico. (Diphenhydramine in cream or tablet is recommended.) Otherwise wash the affected area with soap and water (remove any visible sting) and apply a cold compress. In the event that someone appears to be having an extreme allergic reaction call 061 immediately.


All BonaSOL apartments have a stocked first aid kit which you may use in the event of an accident. Please let us know if you use something so that we can re-stock. We hold a comprehensive range of medical and first aid items in the event that you need something urgently please contact us and we will gladly assist you.

If you need to attend hospital and wish someone to accompany you please contact us using the 24hr number, we will be happy to help. Do remember you may need to show evidence of medical insurance.

In the event of a serious incident we are able to contact various consular offices on your behalf, and also co-ordinate with your insurer as necessary. Just call us.